Wembley Masters 2009: Day Two Reports

Day two of the Masters sees three more matches played to a finish. Click below for updates…

Mark Allen 6-4 Judd Trump

Mark Allen has overcome qualifying event winner Judd Trump this morning to progress into the last 16 of the Masters.

Both players were making their débuts and it appeared to show early on as the first four frames saw just one break over fifty, a 55 from Mark Allen. Despite not finding anything like his best form though, Mark took a 3-1 lead into the mid-session interval and extended this to 4-1 with an 80 break when play resumed.

With his back against the wall though, Judd almost responded in the best possible fashion as he looked on for a maximum 147 break for a while. Though he eventually broke down on 96, he had done enough to win the frame and reduce his arrears to 4-2.

Unfortunately for him though, having been presented with a great chance to win frame seven for good measure, he just left himself too close to the cushion on the second to last red when clearing up and missed it to the left-centre. Mark Allen didn’t need another chance and helped by a great final blue with the rest into the yellow pocket, screwing back for the pink on its spot, made it 5-2.

Judd to his credit did not give up at this stage, but despite closing the gap to 5-4 had given himself too much to do and Mark won the match with a very well-taken 70.

Next up for Mark will be a clash with Ryan Day tomorrow night, certainly not easy but he is a confident character and will be hopeful that he can keep his run going in that match. He will have to play a lot better than today however as he missed a lot of easy balls, particularly four routine blacks off the spot, and could very easily have lost the match.

Mark Allen 4-1 Judd Trump 9-62(40), 70(33)-39, 66(39)-40, 68-55(55), 80(80)-0, 0-108(96), 66(35)-48(36), 12-81(55), 0-123(123), 70(70)-8

Ding Junhui 6-4 Shaun Murphy

Following a string of impressive performances in the Championship League last week, Ding Junhui kept up his fine form with a good win over UK Champion Shaun Murphy this afternoon.

It was an excellent match from the start, the first four frames being shared and each containing a break over 50 as neither managed to secure a lead going into the interval.

Having seen Ding go 3-2 up with a break of 77 though, frame six looked like it might be a really key one as despite Ding making a break of 51 and looking good to move two ahead for the first time in the match, a missed black allowed Shaun in to clear with 62 and level the match.

Given Ding’s history at this event, some might have expected him to falter a bit having lost such a big frame, but full credit to him becaus ehe responded in fine style with runs 41, 75 and 83 to lead 5-3. Though Murphy pulled one back with another big break of 93, Ding was not to be denied and ran out a 6-4 winner.

If he can keep up this heavy scoring and more importantly remain 100% mentally, I think that he will be a hard man to stop this week…

Shaun Murphy 4-6 Ding Junhui 52(52)-75, 98(53,45)-0, 68(59)-0, 0-74(74), 1-77(77), 62(62c)-51(51), 11-116(41,75c), 24-98(83c), 94(93)-0, 0-77(46)

Mark Selby 6-5 Ricky Walden

Mark Selby came through a marathon clash with Ricky Walden tonight to book his place in the quarter-finals at

In a match that lasted over four and a half hours, it was the first four frames that took a lot of this time, eventually being shared as they went into the interval at 2-2.

Thankfully though, the pace and the standard picked up with breaks of 100, 90, 79 and 59 as the clock struck midnight. The final frame was a tense affair but in the end it was Mark who held his nerve and following what looked to be a kick from a Walden effort, put a big enough break in to give him a useful advantage. With the pink and black safe it was going to be tough for Ricky and unfortunately for him he could not quite pull it off.

Defending champion Selby will be pleased to be through, but will have to up his game if he is to go further in the tournament…